Thursday, August 2, 2012

Eating My Mistake

The recipe for Roasted Banana Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze that I found on Pinterest sounded so interesting.  My husband's love of bananas and peanut butter would pretty well assure the possibility that I could get him to try them if I baked them. Note that heretofore, he had turned up his nose at my scones.

I had some over-ripe bananas that needed to be used up and some left-over part-skim ricotta cheese that I had no other use for.  So, it sounded like this venture would be promising.

My first clue of impending disaster occurred when the sliced bananas topped with melted butter and brown sugar did NOT emerge from the oven "caramelized."  They were "bubbly" all right but not "caramelized."

Now, I've baked my share of scones for about two years, and if there's anything I've learned it's that parchment paper is the way to go.  None of that greasing the baking sheets for me.  So, since this recipe called for spraying two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray, I promptly ignored that step and used parchment paper instead.  Second foreshadowing clue, as it turned out.

The recipe called for dropping the dough into 12 equal mounds on the baking sheets and baking the scones for 25-30 minutes.  Did that. Then, five minutes before the scones came out of the oven, the "glaze" was to have been prepared (peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla). Did that.

When the oven timer went off, I was ready with my "glaze," which in reality was not a glaze at all, but rather a thick sweet peanut butter spread. Oh, well, that would have been okay if it weren't for the fact that the scones were both BURNT and STUCK to the parchment paper!

So much for parchment paper. Now I had to eat my mistake.  So, I decapitated the scones, leaving the burnt undercarriage stuck to the parchment, which was also stuck to the baking sheets.

What I had here tasted like banana bread cookies with peanut butter spread on the tops.  I should have just baked the old faithful Banana Bread.  Oh, well, you win some and you lose some.  Not the end of the world.  "Just the end of Roasted Banana Scones with Peanut Butter Glaze,"  she said as she pitched the recipe into the circular file.

No comments:

Post a Comment